Thread: JBPatch
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #623
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by notimp View Post
Will read asap. And no - dont want a flamewar here (please dont), just wanted to drop a bit of cynicism, thats all. Its a personal thing.

I cant stand onelined openly phrased questions where the person who answers has to answer for more than one eventuality (what did he actually mean), especially when the person asking, could have found out for him/herself with minimal effort, prior to asking. (Strike the "flaming" conotation from that sentence... ) For me such questions are linked to a "enthusiasts communities are the better clerks, faster, more accurate" attitude which I deeply despise...

But again, its a personal thing.
We have all felt the urge to say things that in retrospect seem a bit disrespectful of others. It is all too tempting to answer with RTFM, but I stopped using that after a huge flamewar erupted from non-technical people who came here from the ebook reading crowd, when they took it as an insult (much more than its humorous intent amongst techogeeks).

Nowadays, we just suggest they go read this: http://whathaveyoutried.com

Your post did seem a bit harsh and a bit broad, but that was my own interpretation. I have occasionally been proven to be human, with various accompanying foibles associated with that condition, and one of those is occasional misinterpretation of intent in a post such as yours. English is prone to that with various words having multiple meanings, often allowing statements to be interpreted more than one way, leading to perceived ill will where none may have been intended. Flame wars are made of this, wherein English is a powerful weapon with which to shoot your opponent or yourself in the foot. Simple URLs as shown above are a much safer weapon of choice.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-27-2012 at 06:06 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote