View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
I agree the Fire's dimmest setting is still a little too bright for night reading. I could load this filter app, but I think I'm just going to wait; Amazon is sure to make more settings possible, or a dimming app will come along specifically tailored to the Fire. I'm too old for all this hunting around for apk, side-loading nonsense.
Possibly not and here is why. There is a reason why they don't allow the screen brightness to be turned down below a certain level. Simply put it is called idiot proofing. If they allow us to turn the screen down so far that it goes black, some folks will do that then think they bricked their device. So they build in a safety level to prevent us from thinking we bricked our device because the screen went black. Assume that we can turn the screen down to 5% backlighting for reading inside in a dark room. You could still see the screen well enough to use the device. But if you then walked outside in the sunlight it might be too dim to use. So at least that is one theory why they keep the lowest backlight setting a bit too high for our tastes.