View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 03:01 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdevil View Post
Is V3 going to tank or not? Maybe. I don't care, as long as I can read all the non-DRM books I want to. I have no religious attachment to an e-reader.
If I am Jinke I will definitely launch an update to support DRM format if it can bring in huge market profits. Why not?
But ...
Is there a necessary correlation between how an e-reader sells and how DRM is implemented on the e-reader? I don't think so, unless there is hard evidence other than mere speculations. How big is the market of DRM ebooks now?
E-readers still have chances to evolve, but imho DRM is bound to fail and is going to tank, thanks to its massive unpopularity.
True, most "non-geek" readers won't even know the existence of DRM. But nightmare begins as soon as these unfortunate users try to copy/backup/transfer these documents to other media and then try to access it. Look, I am not talking about the non-geek mothers and fathers out there. The reality is most people who have bought/will buy an e-reader are largely of the "geeky" type who are not at all computer illiterate.
Will many non-geek moms and dads end up using an e-reader rather than reading paper? It's such a remote possibility unless this kind of products has successfully infiltrated the geeky market. Other by now common consumer electronics like PCs, laptops, PDAs, smartphones, MP3/4 players (or PMPs for that matter) all go this way.
Once I can get a Sony Reader from the Sony Rewards website, it is going to be given to my mother-in-law. Sony had an advert about giving a reader to your mother for mother's day. I think eventually you will find more readers being advertised to regular folk (non-geek types). I know for a fact that if I gave my mother a Sony Reader, she would be able to use it without a problem. But, if you gave my mother a V3, she'd be lost. It would be useless to her. She could not go online to puchase a book she wants to read and use the V3 to read it. So yes, I do honestly think that only so many will be sold and then it will tank. It won't only tank, it will atom bomb.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote