View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 02:12 PM   #19
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdevil View Post
Is V3 going to tank or not? Maybe. I don't care, as long as I can read all the non-DRM books I want to. I have no religious attachment to an e-reader.
If I am Jinke I will definitely launch an update to support DRM format if it can bring in huge market profits. Why not?
But ...
Is there a necessary correlation between how an e-reader sells and how DRM is implemented on the e-reader? I don't think so, unless there is hard evidence other than mere speculations. How big is the market of DRM ebooks now?
E-readers still have chances to evolve, but imho DRM is bound to fail and is going to tank, thanks to its massive unpopularity.
True, most "non-geek" readers won't even know the existence of DRM. But nightmare begins as soon as these unfortunate users try to copy/backup/transfer these documents to other media and then try to access it. Look, I am not talking about the non-geek mothers and fathers out there. The reality is most people who have bought/will buy an e-reader are largely of the "geeky" type who are not at all computer illiterate.
Will many non-geek moms and dads end up using an e-reader rather than reading paper? It's such a remote possibility unless this kind of products has successfully infiltrated the geeky market. Other by now common consumer electronics like PCs, laptops, PDAs, smartphones, MP3/4 players (or PMPs for that matter) all go this way.
I suspect we can argue the merits and demerits of DRM without any results for the rest of our lives without doing any good. DRM is basically required by most publishers and all major libraries supporting ebooks. DRM is in the OS I buy and the audible books I buy and in many programs and gps maps as well. Even my Bible study program is heavy into DRM. It seems to be a fact of life but some implementations are better than others.

A good implementation is not time limited (except for libraries and samples). can be migrated to follow-on devices (and supported on more than one device simultaneously) and can survive computer crashes. And in some cases it can even be sold or willed. Perhaps we could move the discussion to the best implementation and then finally to removing it in some cases.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote