View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #48
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

Quote:
In June 2011, I trashed Samsung Corp.’s Chromebook, an early effort to build a machine running Google Inc.’s Chrome operating system. For $429, you got an attractive, well-built machine, but one that could not run programs written for Microsoft Corp.’s Windows software and that only worked when it was connected to the Internet.

The costly gadget was often little more than an illuminated placemat.

But a lot has changed over 18 months. The newest Chromebook is more attractive than its ancestor, but also a lot more useful, with features that keep working even when it is *offline. After several days of testing, the latest Chromebook became my go-to device for Internet surfing, e-mailing, and banging out documents on the fly. And while I’m impressed by the performance, I’m awed by its $249 price

Others will resist the idea of a laptop that can’t run Windows software. But thanks to smartphones and tablets, millions of people have learned to shrug off this trivial concern. Google’s software tools are more than adequate for basic productivity tasks. These tools work even when you’re not connected to the cloud. And you can access them through a stylish, well-built device that sells for half the price of a basic Windows laptop.

The Chromebook isn’t for everybody.

But for those who’ve learned to love cloud computing, it’s one of the best bargains in the digital world.
Come April, 2014, my XP is not supported and I plan to migrate to Chromebook. I have tried it out at Best Buy, and a friends Acer, and other than the need of having to get a "cloud printer" on my boat, I like it.
I am waiting for a more robust hardware machine which should come last quarter this year. New models from Samsung, Acer, Lenovo, HP and now Asus has announced
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote