View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #46
Clawdia
Connoisseur
Clawdia is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle (K3, DXG)
One thing I found interesting - I wanted a small Kindle to go with my DXG. So I went about trying to decide between the K3 and the new little K4. I checked Amazon reviews and found that about 10% of the reviews of the K4 were 1 star reviews, while only about 5% of the reviews of the K3 were 1 star reviews. I certainly didn't read all the reviews, but it seemed a good many of those I did read that were negative about the K4 referred to screen contrast. All in all, a 5% higher rate of 1 star reviews seemed significant.

I bought a K3, and found when it came that the screen background appears lighter than that of my DXG, and the font - the sans serif at any rate - is darker than that on my DXG. So, I'm very happy with it. I'd bought my daughter a K3 a couple of months ago and my new one seems to be a twin of hers. The DXG doesn't have the sans serif font option, which is the biggest fault I've found with it in the past 14 months.

Of course, I tend to usually buy year old tech as opposed to 'new and improved' - when I've upgraded my laptops, I always wait until Apple releases a new product line and then I buy one of the prior year's models refurbed. That's always worked out great for me.

I hope Amazon does continue to improve the Kindle, but at this point I'm happy with my choice of what's now known as the 'Kindle Keyboard'. I've a feeling they may phase out this model, so I'm glad I bought one when I did, and I think the $20 price difference from the K4 is fair for the increased battery life and other features. I don't use the keyboard much, but it's a good place to rest my fingers while holding the Kindle. Also, I was having a hard time just dismissing that article from Tom's Hardware, because it makes a lot of sense that all screens are not created equal.
Clawdia is offline   Reply With Quote