View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 11:45 PM   #5
jissa
Tsarina of All Hedgehogs
jissa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunti View Post
1- Dictionary - Can I install different ones or is it the inbuilt one only?
2- Dictionary lookup - can I look up from Pdf's and epub's
3- Is there any log of dictionay lookups etc (so I can refer back to them)
4- annotate, can I annotate on both pdf's and epub;s
5- Does it do reflow/font change size on both pdf/epub
6- Can I zoom (and keep the same level of zoom for that book) on epub/pdf?
7- Crop border - does this work well - or is it a bit flaky?
8- How accurate is the annotation - easy to make notes or more a scrawl?
9-Is the glare of the screen an issue?
10- Saving annotations - is there any limitation on this? Do I just save a new pdf epub with annotations or are they saved as a layer to the existing file?
1. As dmapr said above, it's only set up to use the in built ones. There are, however, two options: The New Oxford American Dictionary (which they have as the default) and the Oxford Dictionary of English (a slightly larger, although more anglo-prone, dictionary. Sadly, not the OED itself). I have mine set on the Oxford Dictionary of English and have found that to be quite fun.

2. dmapr covered this one, so I'll move on.

3. The machine itself doesn't keep a log of dictionary lookups, however it does log all words that you highlight, and simply clicking on those words again will pull up the dictionary definition.

4 & 5. dmapr covered these, so I'll move on.

6. It depends on what precisely you mean by zoom. The reader will let you change the text size up to XL, and remember that between pages, however changing the text size results in reflowing the text, which can lose some pdf formatting (for instance, I never use this on Hatcher's Algebraic Topology). It will also switch orientation to landscape (which results in a zoom) and let you remove margins (which again results in a bit of a zoom), and remember this between page turns. Personally, I find this perfectly sufficient for my pdfs, particularly with addition of the ability to smart zone over any figure that's too small. This real zoom (the one where you tell it to make a specific section of the page larger) is not kept between pages, but I personally prefer that to keeping the zoom.

7. As I mentioned above, I've found the remove margins feature to work quite well in general. There are a couple pdfs that is has left a bit of a margin on, but I think those pdfs have *something* in the margin somewhere along the way which is causing the reader to not want remove that area.

8. The annotations feature works quite well. The only thing I have against it is that there isn't a good way of sorting your annotations (ie, I'd love to be able to see all the annotations I made on books in my "math" collection at once, and not have them mixed in with the annotation on the books in my "wooster and jeeves" collection). As long as you know that you want to look at your annotations on a particular book (which is probably how you'll usually use it), they work quite well.

As for making the annotations yourself, it's definitely quite simple. The thing to remember is that you don't need to wait for the e-ink screen to show that it's read what your writing--you can write on it faster than it will display, but it will remember everything you did. I also quite like the ability to annotate two pages at once in the "2-page view".

9. At first I found the glare to be more of an issue than I do now. It's something that you get used to be very quickly, and takes no thought to hold the reader so that you don't get the reflection at this point. I followed the advice of my friend who got her sony before me, and just spent a day reading around the house. After the day navigating the prs-900 and holding it so that it doesn't reflect became second nature.

10. Others have covered this well already.

Hope these answers were useful to you. I definitely love my prs-900, and would recommend it to anyone in the US market.
jissa is offline   Reply With Quote