View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 06:04 AM   #53
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
Properly formatted text with an em dash (ex: word—word—word) presents a problem though when the words are long and the reader/device offers a narrow screen. What results tends to be an awkwardly spaced portion of text. Particularly if justified text is used.
That's why I often use the alternative "space en-dash space" (when it's not at the beginning or end of a sentence), which is sometimes seen in printed books too.

The problem with em-dashes is that its handling should be language-specific. A break at an em-dash may be allowed in English, but it is highly undesirable (and wrong) in Spanish, where the usage is slightly different. The old mobipocket reader doesn't break at em-dashes, which is fine in Spanish and causes problems in English. ADE breaks at em-dashes, which is fine in English but causes havoc in Spanish.

Quote:
I realize this may be a hyphenation and/or display issue in the software, but the reality is that many such programs are not going to be updated to correct for these situations.
Sadly true, and I wonder whether any program will be updated
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote