View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #49
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
Microsoft's successes are WAY over 'zero'. A home user probably doesn't see it as much but if you work in a large corporation then you see them all over the place.
Yes, I spent many years in IT. I'm quite familiar with a broad swathe of MS products. To clarify, let me quote my previous post: "Microsoft has *tried* many other things. It has made money at *none* of them."

By "successful" I mean "keeps the ship afloat". Take away the revenues MS has derived from Windows and Office, and all that remains of Microsoft is an historical footnote that used to make a few good developer tools. Nothing else MS has ever done (including MS-DOS) has risen financially above the level of a rounding error on MS's current bottom line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
Part of Microsoft's issues are with it's marketing.
Oh, I absolutely agree. Microsoft has never been able to market product, even good product. Remember that DOS rode the PC's success into its dominant position, then MS used product tying and a barrage of anti-competitive practices to parlay DOS's success into Windows/Office success. Faced with open competition on a level playing field, it seems as if MS always loses.
Nathanael is offline   Reply With Quote