View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #368
Kitty1221
Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: onyx boox, pocketbook, 9.7" e-screen
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
From what little I know looks like a linux box (Onyx) thus it should run the program without "crashing", or should I say is capable of running the program..

You do not say the EXACT type of onyx book so I could only guess at the processor. either a 800MHz Cortex A8 CPU or a Freescale i.MX508 800MHz or a Marvell 166e 800MHz, two of which I know something about.

They are all 4 bit displays (I Think), But how you would manage the screen updates I do not know. That part of it you would have to figure out for yourself, probably a small piece of code but it would need looking at.

So yeah... The project could be rebuilt from source if required to target your processor if required but honestly I would just try to run the current release and then tag on the bit of screen update code yourself.

A fully worked example might be referenced from
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=326

With an EXAMPLEsupplemental eink update implementation like this one
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=328
I say example because - miracles withstanding - that WON'T work, you need to find that piece of code for yourself....

Also there is a whole pile of things that could go wrong. Framebuffers of slightly different sizes causing garbled screen output (one type of onyx book is 1200px x 825px for example, the others are 800x600), and probably 100 other things that could be very slightly "wrong" or "different enough" to make it just not work without a few coding amenments.

All that said...

a) Find out what code you need to send to cause a full eink refresh.
b) check if the current code RUNS on your machine without needing to be rebuilt
c) Run it and see what output you get.

Honest answer is I HAVE NO IDEA if that might work.

But at least you have a few tips to try.

I would guess - if you have the "right" book - with same/supported processor - same resolution - and the update code - that it should work

Hey, it might even work on ALL of them with enough love. But honestly without the device, this is complete speculation.

HAVE FUN!!!
Hi Mr Twobob

I was just rereading your post.
The resolution is quite similar. 1200 X 825 while the Kindle DX is 1200 X 824.
There is just 1 pixcel different... which I don't know is a lot or nothing to be worried...

SO the things in common are
Lynux OS
Freescale CPU... does the model or version of it matter ?

Things slightly different are
Resolution Just one Pixel

I don't know what "4 bit displays" means in here..
I searched for what bit displays of Kindle but couldnt find it.

Since I have little confidence in customizing of some codes by myself, I am now thinking whether I should return the Onyx boox that is soon to be arrived... If I return it I have to do so in unused condition, but then again I might not even able to do the things on Windows 8...

My OS shows it's Windows 8.. It doesn't show any other information. maybe I can downgrade to W7 if I pay for it... Sigh....

Thank you for reading
Kitty1221 is offline   Reply With Quote