View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 09:22 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Post Dickens, Charles: Bleak House (Illustrated). v7. 21 Apr 2011

Description from Amazon:

As the interminable case of Jarndyce and Jarndyce grinds its way through the Court of Chancery, it draws together a disparate group of people: Ada and Richard Clare, whose inheritance is gradually being devoured by legal costs; Esther Summerson, a ward of court, whose parentage is a source of deepening mystery; the menacing lawyer Tulkinghorn; the determined sleuth Inspector Bucket; and even Jo, the destitute little crossing-sweeper. A savage, but often comic, indictment of a society that is rotten to the core, Bleak House is one of Dickens's most ambitious novels, with a range that extends from the drawing rooms of the aristocracy to the poorest of London slums.

Speaking on a personal level, I have to say that this is my favorite novel, by my favourite author. The first chapter's description of a foggy London has come to epitomise Victorian London for many. The characterisation is magnificent; the plots and sub-plots fascinating and complex. This is no easy read, but a novel which can be read and re-read for a lifetime, with each re-reading revealing new depths to it (which I guess is as good a definition of "great literature" as any).

This is a new version of the book, with the 40 original illustrations by "Phiz" and much better formatting than the previous versions, with dashes preserved.

Enjoy!

EDIT: v6, 22 Dec 07

Replaced words in capitals with italics, where appropriate, to match printed book. Uploaded v6.

EDIT: v7, 21 Apr 11

Thoroughly proof-read against the "Oxford Illustrated Dickens" edition. Many errors fixed, and a huge amount of missing punctuation (in the order of 20,000 items) added and corrected. All the illustrations have been re-scanned and are now of much better quality than before. Various things such as letters have been replaced with graphical versions, which look much better. I would now regard this as a "finished" version; if you find any remaining errors, now matter how small, please let me know. Uploaded v7.

Previous download count: 1737
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Bleak House.lrf (6.63 MB, 1913 views)

Last edited by HarryT; 04-21-2011 at 06:55 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote