View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #8361
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Kenny, if I remember correctly, don't you play a musical instrument? If so, pick up an American version of the Shakuhachi. There is a guy in Vermont who makes them and one in North/South Carolina too. Quite inexpensive ( Under $50. Compared with the Japanese ones that start around $500! I'm talking about ordinary straight bamboo, but cut for a pentatonic scale, rather than the fancy bamboo Japanese styles.) and as they are Pentatonic, you can make really pretty music without knowing any particular pieces. I used to take mine with me when backpacking, as it's the perfect 'sitting on the banks of the lake or river at night' sounds.

Stitchawl
Yep. Will check it out! Thanks.
Will fit right in with my irish whistles and flutes

I have one of these which is a Low D poly Irish flute from Dixon instruments:

It has a similar register to the bamboo flute I think, but I definitely like the tone of the wood better. (being a long-term clarinet player e.g. since age 12 or so eeeek!)

I love my old fashioned Clarke tin whistle with the wood whistle stop. It has a great tone compared to the plastic mouthpieces.

Last edited by kennyc; 01-20-2013 at 09:54 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote