View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Just a few years ago, e-ink was right out of science fiction. The future is very bright for e-ink. The lower power consumption may be the biggest plus, my e-ink device can run for days without needing a charge. The e-ink devices are lighter, cheaper and work better in bright light.

But there are other applications of e-ink. How many times have you seen a TV used in a kiosk to display a static image? That's an area ideal for e-ink: put the image on the display once and it can sit there indefinately without needing to be refreshed.

Flexible e-ink displays are working their way to the market. The benefit of these is not that you can bend them, but that they can flex without breaking. With a display that can flex, you can make the device even lighter, as the device doesn't need to be build to prevent flexing.

I expect that in the long run, e-ink will win out over LCD. E-ink has to do a few things first. One is color. I don't think that any color e-ink has actually made it to the market yet. Another is faster refresh rates. And another is lighting: you can't do backlit with e-ink (I won't say it is impossible, but it would be quite difficult). Sidelit screens are still a very young technology. LCD is a fairly old technology, e-ink is young. If these three factors can be improved upon, we may see e-ink tablets replacing dedicated e-ink readers. It would give us tablets that used less power and didn't suffer from the same glare problem as LCD. LCD could go the way of CRT monitors.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote