View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #295
Cruizer
Cruizer began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
If you are using the "Sync from Shelf" feature, then the answer is yes. You could setup an action for each shelf to "undo" any actions that you have setup for the other shelves.

Example: Say for instance you have an Action setup for syncing from your "Currently-Reading" shelf to add a "currently-reading" tag. And another action setup for your "Read" shelf to add a "read" tag.

What you could then do is add an additional action for your "Read" shelf to remove the "currently-reading" tag (so it has two actions, the other being the existing add of a "read" tag). It will only remove the tag if it finds it, otherwise no harm done.

I'll be honest, the more I use this plugin over the last six months, the more "clunky" I can appreciate its design is for my own usage. I ramble on about this every month or two, but I think the critical mass point of me rewriting the plugin is going to happen during the next month.

For instance at the moment, if you use calibre to add a book to your goodreads shelf, you can't add a tag/update a custom column automatically at the same time. Instead you have to do a sync like a described above. The sync feature was really designed for people who want to maintain their reading in Goodreads, not the other way around.

What I effectively want to be able to do is have some menu item to the effect of "Mark book as read". Which can do a number of configurable actions in one step - such as adding to a particular shelf, setting #read yes/no column to true (or could add/remove tags in your case), potentially assign a date read value to a custom column. Then not only should it put the book on the shelf like it does now, it should also have the ability to specify a date read (or pulled from a column) along with a rating.

I need to plan it all out before I commit to anything yet of course, but that is an idea of where my thinking is heading. In a perfect world I would chuck everything away and just use that as my starting point, since that is all I will use myself. However I am sure some users would grumble about losing other features like the shelves as tags stuff so that will have to stay. Maybe I just add a new submenu for these composite actions, and leave everything else as is so as to not cause grief. Opinions welcomed.
Thank you for the response. I've tried your solution previously but never had success with it. Whenever I try to multiple actions onto the same column (in this case, the tag column), I get this error message:

"calibre, version 0.8.26
ERROR: Sync Action Conflict: You have two or more actions applying to the 'tags' column in Calibre.<p>Edit your actions so they will not conflict."

I wouldn't mind setting up actions manually but if the plugin won't allow multiple actions on a same column, that leaves me with this process if I want to transfer a book from one exclusive shelf to another (i.e. from currently-reading to read):

1. Add book to "read" shelf and sync "read" shelf
2. Manually remove the "currently-reading" tag from the book

Personally, I want to have the same features you want. Having an option to sync all shelves with a single click would also do wonders.
Cruizer is offline   Reply With Quote