View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 03:38 AM   #13
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
If you have that many books, either get a high quality USB3 flash drive or use an external HDD. I tried to use a library of just 3,000 books from a cheap Kingston 8GB flash drive and it was a painful experience. It got stuck at "Not responding" for a long time (flash drive light was blinking so I know it's reading/writing to the drive) before I just decided to force kill Calibre.
I have the master copy of my library on a small external HD, with a copy on a stick that lives on my keychain. Working from that copy actually works pretty well once Calibre is started, but starting it takes ages, as does updating it from the master copy. I use FreeFileSync for that, and syncing between the master copy and the backup that lives on another external HD takes roughly 15 minutes. Syncing the USB stick takes, literally, all night (roughly 6.5 hours).

Large libraries (mine is ~47K) and USB sticks don't really mix.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote