View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 11:55 PM   #7
garcle
Connoisseur
garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Ok, I'm curious (no, really!). Outside of a public or school library, how would using the Dewey Decimal System benefit a calibre user?
For me .. exactly the same way as it would if I walked in to a public library and asked the librarian "Where are all the books on, oh let's say, Climatology?" .. the librarian, knowing the Dewey system by heart walks up to the shelves and points and says "here on this shelf".
I thank them and then browse through all of the books looking for the one that seems most applicable to my needs.
In the same way having all the books in calibre sorted by Dewey, I could browse a range of books that are related (and also browsing a little further, shows books partially related to the first, like instead of just climatology, it might be Climatology - history, etc ..) ... So with Dewey you get a grouping that is "fuzzy".
The majority of books have Dewey classification printed near to the ISBN number on the 2nd or 3rd pages inside the book, so, while you could get the effect I described with tagging, the Dewey classification is already done for you. (and its done by experts - not by "social media")

Last edited by garcle; 01-09-2011 at 12:01 AM.
garcle is offline   Reply With Quote