View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #8
lotusblossom
lotusblossom began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
An "Interesting" Aside

IMHO, I find this whole topic of drm and dedrm fascinating, especially the legality of such.

In the old days when one bought a book - whether in hardcover, paperback or whatever, the copyright laws were very specific - you could read the book, but do not try to quote or paraphrase it without the author's (publisher's[?]) consent.

Nothing, however prevented me from reading the book, passing it to my friends, then giving it to a book swap store to sell or barter or selling it at a flea market (after tearing off the front cover, of course). Many times one of the books I purchased was passed around many, many times - and this with but one sale to the author.

Now, just because we go into the digital mode and those in the "Digital Law Powers-that-be" mode) are antsy about not allowing anyone to give any one book to another - or sending it to their readers, we have DRM. If you'll remember the furor over VHS/BetaMax controversy, you can understand the paranoia which ensued. Well that is where we are today. Back then, the movies remained extant and today the ePublishers will remain extant and will get stronger.

There is a glimmer of hope, however. It didn't take the music industry too long to finally sell MP3s without strings attached - hopefully the eBook vendors/publishers will see the handwriting on the wall. The sale of eBooks is growing, and the more people who buy and get stung by these practices, the greater the outcry.

Much ado about nothing, methinks. I feel sorry for those who really want to dedrm their books - especially when they found out their reader is now going a different DRM route (BeBook). There should be some place other than these forums that will steer the novice computer user to learn step by step how to do the deed. I believe it is everyone's right to dedrm their ebooks -- but, then, I'm 77 years old. By the time they catch up to me, I'll be gone.

BTW try this, "How to dedrm ebooks" in google.

Good luck to all you dedrmers!
lotusblossom is offline   Reply With Quote