View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 07:24 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
If, hypothetically, I should mention that I buy books from Fictionwise and strip the DRM to use on my Kindle, would I thus be (hypothetically) admitting to breaking a law?

Does anyone know?
As I think Harry says nobody knows even whether it is actually illegal to remove DRM on books one has bought as long as one does not resell or otherwise break copyright - there are laws and acts of parliament, but they've never been tested in court so far as I know.

I think myself that any prosecutions for removing DRM from ebooks one has bought and keeps for oneself would fail because no one could prove harm to the original vendor - or indeed to anyone else.

For what it is worth I have indicated or hinted several times that I have removed DRM, and so far haven't come to any harm.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote