View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Question Vis-a-Vis anti-DRM legalities

I think-I-know (ITIK) that the DMCA laws in the United States make it illegal to program such things as Python scripts which remove DRM. They also make it (ITIK) illegal to offer such scripts to others via links or downloads. And, I know (or ITIK) they make it illegal to actually instruct people in their use.

However, I have read in various venues that these laws do not make it actually illegal to USE such programs to remove DRM from files that you have paid for in order to back them up.

If, hypothetically, I should mention that I buy books from Fictionwise and strip the DRM to use on my Kindle, would I thus be (hypothetically) admitting to breaking a law?

Does anyone know?
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote