View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009, 12:56 PM   #10
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Those RIAA lawyers have used a classic technique for tarring an opponent unfairly. First, begin by truthfully and correctly 'accusing' them of holding a position that they truly do hold -- in this case, that would be "FSF an organization 'dedicated to eliminating restrictions on copying, redistribution, and modifying computer programs,' and accused the FSF of having an 'open and virulent bias against copyrights'". This seems to me to be a true and correct description of the FSF's manifesto.

But to really smear your opponent, you then continue on to either distorted truth or outright falsehood -- in this case that's the "and 'blatant bias' against the record companies. They called 'Recording Industry vs. The People' an 'anti-recording industry web site' and stated that NYCL 'is currently subject to a pending sanctions motion for his conduct in representing a defendant'" part of their statement. And you make sure during such a smear to avoid any possible mention of any failures on your own side -- like the fact that the RIAA is also subject to a pending sanctions motion from the very same case as NYCL.

This makes a beautiful example of advanced technique in rhetorical mud-slinging. Color me green with... I was going to say "envy," but I think "disgust" is a better choice... at this display of their skill and of the depths to which they are willing to descend.

Yuck.

Xenophon

Last edited by Xenophon; 04-24-2009 at 12:57 PM. Reason: fixing emphasis
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote