View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #897
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Steve, I'm wondering how extensive your outlines are. Sounds like you go to a significant amount of detail?
My outlines tend to be 2-3 pages of abbreviated sentences describing general and specific story details, no dialogue, and behind-the-scenes action that impacts what happens in the scene depicted, or how it came to be. I break up the outline into paragraphs, and generally 1 paragraph equals one chapter of the book. (They tend to be fairly uniform in length as well, an aspect that I admit I haven't figured out to this day!)

The outline is further backed up with notes about the characters, settings, relevant science/technology... usually less than a page, but sometimes more (such was the case with Verdant Skies).

Once the outline is done, I can use it like a story template, dictating the overall direction of the writing while still leaving me plenty of room to be creative about settings, descriptions and dialogue. Once I start writing, armed with all that, I rarely run into problems or roadblocks, only occasionally when trying to find the right way to describe and pace a scene, and proceed fairly smoothly from start to finish.

By the way: The rewrite I mentioned earlier is fixed, and just requires further embellishment before I proceed with writing.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote