View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
So it sounds like they played with it for half an hour & decided to write a review.

Quote:
Disconcerting delay. When you move from one page to another, the screen doesn’t refresh instantly. Instead, the old page disappears and is momentarily, and distractingly, replaced by a negative image of the next page (that is, white print on a black background) before the new page settles in. The process takes about a second—not fatally long, but hardly ideal.
It took me about 30 pages of the first book I read on my Reader to get used to the page flash. Maybe it really bothers some of you?

Quote:
Display quirks. While you can view PDF files, you can’t zoom in on them, so the contents of the page are virtually unreadable. The display can show only a few shades of gray, so photos have a grainy, dithered look, albeit a better one than on the first-generation Reader.
Guess I didn't buy mine to display photos on, but I didn't think they looked to bad when I looked at the sample images. It displays PDF just fine if it's a 3.54" x 4.72" PDF and not an A4/Letter size one. A zoom & scroll feature would make some sense for viewing larger PDFs

Quote:
Missing features. There’s no built-in light, which could come in handy when there’s not much ambient light. We didn’t have enough light to read in a dimly lighted commuter van, for example. A search function to enable you to find a specific passage or phrase would be useful as well.
A light wouldn't be a bad thing, but so far (about 60 books) I haven't missed one. A search function might be useful, although I'm not sure how useful. I see all these 6" readers as fiction readers & I don't see needing to search a fiction book. For reference material it would be useful, but these readers aren't really ideal for anything but fiction IMO.

Quote:
Minimal Mac compatibility. Downloading purchased books to the reader still requires Sony’s software, which only works in Windows. The reader’s storage system shows up as a USB memory device on whatever computer you plug it into, so Mac users might be able to transfer unprotected files (such as PDF and Word documents) to their Reader.
This is one area I think all of the readers could be better. I don't see what's so hard about making their software cross platform.

Quote:
And while you can only buys books for the Reader, the Kindle allows you to subscribe to newspapers and magazines, which download wirelessly to the device
You can get magazines for the Reader, just look at Fictionwise. Newpapers? I guess, in the sense that you can't buy a subscription. libprs500 does a nice job with the NY Times (only one I tried) IMO. For daily news I can see the wireless feature of the Kindle being nice.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote