View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 01:41 AM   #13
AZed
Connoisseur
AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PalmOS PDA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Oh well, the other two are pretty much dead and they weren't perl projects to start with in any case, so hopefully there wont be naming conflicts. Why are you standardizing on oeb rather than epub? The reason I chose oeb was because the tools are meant to be chained with converters to some output format.
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. I'm not standardizing on OEB for the metadata as much as I am on IDPF OPF with all known extensions, but the default is the OEB 1.2 OPF because that's what the Mobipocket Creator tool still demands. When mobigen deals with OPF 2.0, the default will change to that. Both are handled by the module and it's trivial to switch from one format to the other already. Does that answer your question? EPub is just a way of wrapping a container around the data (and EPub generation is, in fact, supported already).

I suppose another way of looking at it is that what I'm providing is an entire toolkit chain, from unpacking to modification to generation, so there has to be an OPF in the middle to edit somewhere in any case, which is effectively an OEB directory. If there's call for it, it wouldn't be too hard to add another command to the command-line tool for a single-line conversion from one format to another, with the unpacking and repacking happening silently in the background, but since I store all of my e-books in unpacked form for easy editing and examination, it was natural for me to think of it in terms of unpacking, then modification, then repacking.
AZed is offline   Reply With Quote