Thread: CSS / dropcaps
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #39
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
My goodness, I really started a brouhaha, didn't I? And all because I posted the CSS that Amazon suggested. It really didn't work, and I soon switched to this:

@media amzn-mobi {
span.dropcap { font-size:300%; }
}
@media not amzn-mobi {
span.dropcap {
font-size:300%;
float: left;
margin-top:-0.3em;
margin-bottom:-0.3em
}

I don't think it's helpful to declare that drop-caps "don't work in mobi." Most of us who publish Kindle books are accustomed to thinking of our files as exactly that--mobi--and when we download the converted file for testing, it is named filename.mobi

As viewed on the Fire and the other devices/apps using KF8 format, the drop-cap appears as a drop-cap. On the KF7 devices/apps, it's an up-cap. Both look good, though the drop-cap looks better. As others have noted, the result seems more like a .... book.
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote