View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Hardware reviews for the Vox...turn off...

....quite frankly, with at least two obviously biased/agenda (my personal opinion) reviews of the Vox

1. Verge
2. Mobile Syrup

....I'm starting to doubt the actual intent of reviews of any product, now. Are reviewers creating their reports with no hidden agendas? Are they truly without bias...and based on personal findings? Did they have at least two of the subject units to compare, to make sure that they, at the off-chance, were not reviewing a product that had a manufacturing defect? Even a common purchaser of a subject piece, would most likely take a 'perceived', (it just might be the user) malfunctioning unit back for another,...and try out a second attempt, rather than walking away with hands washed. Also, THEY don't review for fame or financial compensation!!!

I'm reviewer fatigued, I guess.

Why?

Well...both the Verge and Mobile Syrup literally seemed to show a malice or glee in trashing the Kobo product. Also, both of the above, highly and negative reviews couldn't be more wrong on their major trashing points of the Vox's capacitive screen.

1. Sensitivity and display quality: The two reviews railed against the Vox for lack of sensitivity and user control input....

Personally, I have to be very, very careful in how much contact the tip of my forefinger does in fact engage the screen with, for I can't tell you how many times I have falsely picked to open a book, when I merely was using a south/north finger brush on the left or right side of the screen to advance my Library view, for to actually find, and open a book or magazine of my choice! The Verge reviewer trashed the Vox harshly on this aspect of usage...and that is for sure! Laughably, I am trying to 'adjust' to the absolute sensitivity of the screen...much to the their contrary.

2. Speed of page turns and orientation:

C'mon Joanna...you merely, lightly tap the screen on the right lower side, and the page turn is faster on the Vox, than you can blink. In fact...I don't have to lightly tap at all...but merely contact the screen with my finger tip and lightning happens..wham...the page past read, is history. Whoosh!

She claims that the spinning busy-disk is visibly turning for around 4 seconds before something happens. Really? R-E-A-L-L-Y? I can't get past 'one thousand, and' before the screen orients to landscape. That is with the published word, or a movie and/or YouTube video.

3. Manufactured 'feel':

She (Verge/Joanna) states that the build not only feels in the hand, cheaply made, but the look is as well. Pardon?!?!? I pick up my Vox...and it feels just fine in my hands. The non-metal frame is smooth to the touch, feels warm and pleasant, and with no burs or blemishes in the plastic, or other non-metallic composites. The edges meet precisely between the screen top and its surrounding framework. The buttons are flush, and do not feel sloppy within their body cavities.

Perhaps I should write reviews....

Joanna....what exactly is your beef with the fit and finish, that is so glaringly (obviously it must be glaringly) apparent, that you'd even linger on the Kobo Vox's manufacturing fit and finish? As I held my Vox in my hands and read and went through your review, I was utterly bewildered! Pardon? Pardon?

I think that I am reviewer-fatigued. I am quite disappointed in fact. To have read the above two reviews, before I had purchased my Vox (thank gawd I didn't!!!) who knows if I might have passed it on by...and not have had the great pleasure and ownership of this eReader gem.

No...I don't work for Kobo. I don't have any interest financially with this company, or its products. I only have an interest in the fact that I purchased one of their products and find it to meet and/or exceed my educated-of-use.

These so-called gadget 'experts', were so far off base with their review, that can so 'colour' a person's purchasing of whatever IS being reviewed--in this case, the Kobo Vox eReader---that I frankly, and personally, most likely will not any longer give much creedence (as I had before) to tech review sites before making, or at least thinking about a tech purchase. No more! Those two couldn't have been more diametrically off-base, than what I read concerning the eReader that was already in my hands as I followed their Vox reviews. I am now turned off of reviews, and turned onto USER FORUMS that truly,...truly at the end of the day, give you a more honest and unbiased 'yay' or 'nay' to whether you bring one of whatever it is....home.

My two cents. OK...I guess a dime's worth...

Mitch

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 11-29-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: punctuation...
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote