View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #18
skyline
Enthusiast
skyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enoughskyline will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Even in very optimistic estimates, the battery conservation potential of Pixel Qi is limited. You're not saving 10x the power like they said on Engadget. You're not saving 4x the power. You will be lucky if you get anywhere really close to 2x the battery life, which may push some devices into the all-day-usable realm for some users.
I'm sure that your estimates are based on facts and numbers so what is the consumption of an ARM processor? If we know that then we can work out a rough estimate on the overall consumption of the device.

Quote:
I'm simply saying that this is not the same kind of thing as dedicated e-paper technologies. It's not marketed that way, and it is a bit unfair to include as an especially similar product, especially when it comes to displaying fixed content.
To not mention the disadvantages of e-ink and the advantages of pixel qi is also very unfair. I don't think that people went mad for no reason and decided that pixel QI, mirasol and liquivista are the future, they must have pretty good reasons to make such claims.

Quote:
Yes, 5 times less than 2500mW is 500mW. They are hoping to get down to around 100mW. Static content in e-paper like EPD or IMOD is less than 1mW. According to this (whose accuracy I can't immediately confirm or deny), the reflective LCD in the jetBook pulls around 20mW.
Never mind jetbook and e-ink for a moment. If a 10 inch pixel QI pulls out 500mW then a 7 inch would consume roughly half as much? Let's say 250-300mw. Now is that any good or should we just loose all our hope for a better bang for our money?
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote