View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I could not read the portrait mode screens, but the landscape mode was just legible for me. However, my eyesight isn't good - I can barely read the small text on packaged food labels for example.

The other possibilities are to reflow the PDFs off-line (e.g. using Calibre or Windows MobiPocket Creator) or to convert to custom images off-line (e.g. using PDFRead). The Sony PRS-505 and 700 can reflow on the fly, and other 6" devices are about to include Adobe Digital Editions which is responsible for this capability. So we may not yet have seen the best possible 6" PDF display capability, but the bottom line is that PDFs don't display well on a screen this small with page refreshes this slow (so panning and zooming isn't very effective).

The EZ Reader's CHM support isn't good enough to use so far as I can tell. It always seems to hang up on navigation between sections. Or perhaps there is a way to make it work which I am missing. OpenInkPot uses FBReader for CHM, and this may be better but it can't handle large (multi-MB) CHMs because the entire document is read into memory when opened.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote