View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #46
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But with a paper book, you sell it and it's gone. You no longer have access to it.
If I sell my house, it's not gone. I still have access to it if I kept a key. That doesn't mean I can't sell it--or even that I'm legally forbidden to keep a key. It does mean that accessing it again without permission of the new owner is illegal. (In the case of ebooks, this might translate to, "the only legal reason for re-downloading the book is to send it along to its new owner," since ebook stores won't transfer their listings.)

Quote:
Also, if you don't have the receipt how do we know you didn't say get it from the library and claim you got it from someplace that's out of business?
It's not my job to keep receipts of every purchase I make or every item I legally acquire. If someone believes I've committed a crime in getting/owning an item, it's their responsibility to prove it in court.

I own plenty of physical books I don't have receipts for; I'm not expected to prove I didn't steal those. I'm not willing to accept that I have to produce evidence that I didn't illegally acquire my ebooks.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote