View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMOP View Post
Sounds like even the hardware Kindle is lacking in the nice search functionality I was used to on the Mobipocket versions.
Just to be clear .....

On the real Kindle, you can place the highlight against any word in any book. This will trigger a lookup in the default dictionary. In this point, you are not opening the dictionary as a book. The definition (or whatever) is displayed at the foot of the screen.

If you explicitly open the dictionary as a book (for example, from the Home screen), you can search for headwords and "see also" references, but you can't search for words in the body of a definition (as far as I can see).

I don't know about the Mobi Pocket reader, as I don't have any dictionaries installed for it. But in the Kindle for PC application, you can highlight a word and view the definition in a popup window. You then have the option of opening the dictionary at the definition. At that point, you can search the dictionary just like any other book, and also look up words that are themselvs in the body of the definition. (This only applies to the most recent versions of the application.)
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote