Old 09-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #418
lpgdsxyz
lpgdsxyz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4.1.0
problem with kindle 4.1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belkaar View Post
My first post and first steps:

!! Read the entire tutorial before starting. If you don't understand one of the steps don't try it. You will risk bricking your Kindle !!

How to enable SSH via Wifi on Kindle 4 (4.0.1) nt on windows:

1) Get your kindle serial from the settings menu

2) Run the following python code to get your root password
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python
import hashlib
print("fiona%s"%hashlib.md5("XXXYOURSERIALXXX\n".encode('utf-8')).hexdigest()[7:11])
3) Enter diagnostic mode: create an empty file with name ENABLE_DIAGS on your kindle via USB and reboot (Settings -> Menu -> Restart)

4) In diagnostic mode plug in the USB cable and go to usb networking: Misc individual diagnostics -> Utilities -> Enable USBnet

5) Install windows driver. Windows (7) won't recognize the correct driver, so you have to select it manually: Go to device manager, and select the new unkown device, right click and install driver. Then click your way to the driver list, select "Network card" then "Microsoft Inc" then "Remote NDIS based internet sharing device"

6) setup windows network. Setup the IP for the new connection: IP 192.168.15.1 Subnet 255.255.255.0, rest empty

7) Open ssh client like putty and connect to 192.168.15.244 user name root and password from the python script 'fionaXXXX' (or 'mario' for 4.0)

8) mount main partition
Code:
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/base-mmc
9) copy dropbear binary:
Code:
cp -r /usr/local /mnt/base-mmc/usr/
sync
10) add firewall rule:
Code:
vi /mnt/base-mmc/etc/sysconfig/iptables
add line
Code:
-A INPUT -i wlan0 -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
hit ESC , then enter :wq and press enter

11) reboot: On the kindle exit usb mode and go to the main menu, then select 'Exit, Reboot or Disable Diags' -> 'Disable Diagnostics'

12) disconnect USB cable

13) after it finished rebootin you can point your SSH client (or WinSCP) to the Wifi IP when kindle is running in normal mode

I just got my kindle 4.1.0, and I followed your steps untill to the putty part.

when I tried to set up a ssh session via putty, it says like this
"Network error: connection refused"

then I ping the address of kindle 192.168.15.244
reply is ok, no loss.

So what should I do?
Can you help me?
lpgdsxyz is offline   Reply With Quote