View Single Post
Old 10-21-2006, 04:55 AM   #41
Larry Z.
Enthusiast
Larry Z. doesn't litterLarry Z. doesn't litterLarry Z. doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Hi all -

I updated my iLiad software to 2.7, and I have a few additional reactions...

1. I boot up to the main menu in about 40 seconds, and it takes an additional 30 seconds or so to get to the book menu, select my book, and begin reading. The Reader, on the other hand, starts right up where I left off in about 2.5 seconds. That's a big difference. Making a pot of coffee to drink while I'm reading takes exactly the same amount of time regardless of device.

2. Now I have to revise a point I made earlier in the thread. The iLiad's larger screen is discernably better. I found it easier on the eyes, and I think tonight was a better time to judge, because I read the Reader for about two hours before I did the update to the iLiad.

3. Page turns on the iLiad are feeling better to me after the update, but still not quite as fast as the Reader. (Close though...)

4. The page turning bar on the iLiad feels more natural than the button on the lower left of the Reader. I realize that the Reader has the little "arrow" buttons to turn pages on the spine, but since I use the Sony Leather Cover those buttons are a little inconvenient.

5. At this point, I still favor the Reader based on two main points... First - content. Sony has the ebook store. That's a huge thing for me. Second, the "wake up" time of 2.5 seconds. Hit "on," and begin to enjoy the book. That's the way it should be, and how it works with paper copies.

The iLiad's wifi connection is a great idea, but the fact that I need to reconfigure my router every time I use it (I'm on a security enabled Mac) is a pain. If iRex sorted that out and had an online bookstore that could be accessed by wifi that'd be great.

I'm not sure if the iLiad will mature in that direction, but I'm happier with it after the update. It's getting better, but still not there yet IMO...

Larry Z.

Last edited by Larry Z.; 10-21-2006 at 05:01 AM.
Larry Z. is offline   Reply With Quote