View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 01:50 AM   #9
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerement View Post
Currently, none of the eInk based readers have a TeX reader available.
I'm not sure what you mean by a "TeX reader". Isn't .tex source always processed to create something else in order to be viewed anyway... with PDF being one of the standards? Surely, with the right LaTeX package to tweak the page size, etc., this is a problem at all if the reader supports PDF.

For formats other than PDF yeah, you'd be stuck converting to mathML, and I couldn't get the XML with MathML, even if it looked right on my web browser, ever to look good in any XML-based ebook format in some of my conversions.

Anyway, getting back to the original topic... I'm an academic. I read a lot of stuff with mathematical symbols in it, journal articles, etc, and I read them on my 505. The PDF support is better in the 700, so if I'm doing fine, you're doing fine. Browse around these forums for various options, however, for stripping whitespace off of PDFs, breaking up multiple columns into single columns, etc., and you'll have a lot more tools at your disposal. At least for non-DRMed PDFs, I can usually find the right tool for the job.

For most journal article PDFs, I simply strip off the whitespace with SoPDF or Acrobat. For those that have multiple columns, I might resort to PaperCrop, or sometimes just PDFLRF will do what I need well enough, though they may resort in larger file sizes since they convert to image-based files (the upside is that it looks exactly like the original, however).

Last edited by frabjous; 03-24-2009 at 01:54 AM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote