Thread: Ayn Rand
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 09:39 PM   #53
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
... From a philosophical position her arguments are utter and complete dreck.

And from a moral perspective... ugh, don't even get me started. Any ideology that doesn't understand how interdependent we all are I can pretty much write off as nonsense real quick.
I believe you might be missing the "rational self-interest" part, which would address some of your objections.

No, Rand's writing should certainly not be taken as gospel, but then very little out there should be.

In any case, like it or not, Rand is a very influential author, and any 20th century overview, which does not mention her work, would be deficient.