View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 11:39 AM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
First impressions

i just used the new version to convert HarryT's version of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice (illustrated), so i thought i would give my own first impressions (sorry for the pun ). this is partly for Nick, and partly for other people interested in making conversions, who may not have a lot of experience / technical knowledge. be not afraid ! it's really easy.

overall, brilliant ! i reinstalled eBook Publisher (i had that bug, where the supposed 1150 output was actually a 1200 file), and the output easily created imp (1150), imp (1200), opf and oeb files, and also left the html file. so from here, i could make any other format i wanted to, refine the output i already got, or just save the sources as a precaution for possible future conversion to new formats. it required little to no effort / technical knowledge on my part, which means that conversion is now accessible to a lot more people than before, which could be really great news for the upload section !

some questions / suggestions for v9.2

1. css indents since you can specify "no indent", i assume the para indent is added / kept by the conversion tool. however looking at the code, i notice that the indents are made using non-breaking spaces, rather than defining an indent in em in the css code (in fact, the indent is defined, as 0em). so, why not make the indent using the css ? it would be more elegant code and lighter files... and it shouldn't be too hard to modify, since the css statement is already there. unless it is to avoid problems with images ?

2. batch conversions as other posters have mentioned, i would love to be able to make a batch conversion (like with the .bat files from before the gui), but using the gui since there are other options which i appreciate (headers !!!). is this possible ? how ?
[EDIT : it looks like we were posting at the same time ! now there is a solution for batch conversions, great ! i will test it out right away, since i have more Austen to do... ]

3. speaking of headers.... first, yay !! thanks so much for adding that ! it's a little detail that i find really important and it's great that i don't have to add them by hand anymore ! now, since we have them, what about adding the option to format them in font-family:smallfont ? i personally prefer this, it sets the header off better from the body text and makes it less intrusive, while still being present. also, it can be really useful, in the case of overly-long titles, to gain the extra bit of space so it stays on one line...

well, that's all that strikes me ! once again, thank you for this excellent tool. have a drink on me, just tell the barman to put it on my tab !

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 03-23-2008 at 11:42 AM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote