View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 02:22 AM   #746
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
Yeah; I've heard of that, but I'm not using "Document Default" and the books have no embedded fonts...
What font are you using? I did see something different with Gothic and Ryumin but it might be part of the test case rather than a real difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
So I was playing around tonight to see if I could narrow down what the problem is, and I'm becoming more and more convinced it has to do with how span tags are added. In particular, when looking at a few of the books I have on my device compared to ones that I have problems, there seems to be a difference in how the Kobo spans are sequenced.

Specifically, the books I have problems with tend to have Kobo span numbers skipping values. For example, I'll have 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, 6.4 in a <p></p> block, then the next <p> block starts with a kobo span numbered 9.1. I'm not sure where the missing spans are going (perhaps blank paragraphs or something) but that seems to be one of the few differences I can pick out between books working correctly vs. not. I'm not sure how "normal" span numbering is in .kepubs, but if the spans are as critical as I've gotten the impression they are while watching the development, is it possible that this could be the issue? Or is it fine if certain span numbers are skipped?
From memory, the first purchased kepub I looked at only had odd numbers in the spans. I remember wondering why, but can't think of a reason it would affect things. I think it was just that someone messed up a loop counter and incremented it twice.

Is there any chance of seeing the books? I can see if they behave the same on the beta firmware. And I think would manually fix the span count just to see what happens.

One thing I did just see when comparing a DRM free purchased kepub and a sideloaded kepub is where the space is between sentences and spans. For the purchased kepub, the space after the full stop is inside the span. For the sideloaded, it is between the spans. The examples are:
Code:
Purchased: tomb. </span><span class="koboSpan" id="kobo.3.2">He awoke
Sideloaded: indifferently.</span> <span class="koboSpan" id="kobo.8.2">“It would
The only way I could see that affecting things is if the space happened to be the place that was needed to be stored as the reading position. That might break something, but I would expect the book to open to the start of the chapter.

The other problem it could cause is with highlighting. If it starts or ends on the space, that could cause a problem.

Last edited by davidfor; 10-18-2013 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Later edit by buffaloseven nullified a lot of this. Must no let work interfere with MR.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote