View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #736
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
Well, if they don't appear in side-loaded .kepubs but do appear in Kobo-supplied ePubs, there's probably only 3 options:

1. There's a database flag to enable the showing of statistics.
2. There's code within the book itself that enables the showing of statistics.
3. The device has a "list" of books that is supplied by Kobo that tells it which books to display stats with.

Option 3 seems unlikely, and Option 1 & 2 could probably be worked around. It's just a matter of digging to see what's going on. Makes me wish I had more time to actually do some of the digging.
Option 2 is also unlikely, since it would require them to modify and re-distribute all of their books. My current thought is that it's related to the book location; for side-loaded KePubs, the book location must start with "file://" (based on admittedly limited testing, things really don't work well at all when I try to change that) and so that makes an ideal and immutable way to detect side-loaded versus official KePub files.

Option 3 is just not feasible.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote