View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #402
Kretzer
out of depth
Kretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPad2, iPhone 5, Kindle3 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
It's inferior in the same way an acoustic modem is inferior compared to optic fibre transfer. It is SLOW like hell.
The 1st time I consumed "The Hobbit" I did it as audio book (paper wasn't available in the hospital library) so I can compare. It was exhausting to wait for the text being read.
Yes, it is much slower. But this can also be a good thing. I tend to read quickly and skip "unimportant" details when I want to know how the story goes on.
But if you listen to a story you can appreciate fine details, emotional subtleties etc. (IF it is well read, and this is a big if - there are many voices or ways of reading that I find irritating).

So listening, I find, is very good for a second reading of a good text. Or if you want to have your hands free for something else. Or both.
This winter, for example, I was listening to "A Christmas Carol" while baking christmas cookies. This took about three hours, but it was the perfect addition to the concentrated, precise kitchen work - together it made for a very enjoyable experience.
Kretzer is offline   Reply With Quote