View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #28
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Possibly of interest, a couple of established author/editor sfnal Kickstarter projects ending Real Soon Now, if you want to get in on them:

Less than 3 days to go:

Bride of Death: A Marla Mason Novel by Tim Pratt continues his popular urban fantasy series, originally published by Random House. At $10 for the ebook, this is a bit pricey, but at the $40 "Paper Haters" pledge level, you get the new novel and e-books of the previous 3 novels and a complete collection of the short stories written so far (and apparently perhaps a newly written short as a stretch goal).

This is still a bit pricey at $8 per book, but Pratt happens to offer the 3 previous novels free to read in their entirety online (with chapter writing notes; I love chapter writing notes!), has been putting up full sampler recently-published Marla Mason short stories online in his blog, and maintains a handy list to all his freebie short stories online.

He ended up being very generous with his other Kickstarter project, which ultimately gave me a complete collection of all his short works when I'd signed up at the basic e-book pledge level just to fund his third print-available collection, and I enjoyed the stories I read, so I figure I might as well toss a bit of extra money his way to support not only the author, but an illustrator as well, even if the bonus e-books are available for online read and I could technically assemble my own.

NB: The $50 pledge level which says that the Marla Mason story collection is exclusive to it is meant for people getting a paperback copy, see the bottom of the page's FAQ for details of exactly what's in the different bundles.

Raygun Chronicles: Space Opera (Science Fiction Anthology) edited by Bryan Thomas Schmidt, out from Canadian small press Everyday Publishing for $5 for the basic e-book pledge level.

Slated to contain newly-written stories by Hugo-nominees Mike Resnick & Seanan McGuire (nominated under her penname Mira Grant), Baen-published Sarah J. Hoyt, former Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction editor Kristine Kathryn Rusch (also a Roc-published author herself), Star Trek tie-in novelist A.C. Crispin, and others whose names you'll get a decent listing for if you search them in the Internet Science Fiction Database.

This is slated for a November print release, and they're just above halfway in the necessary funding, but I pledged for their other theme anthology late last year (which had stories by Robert Silverberg, among others) and as of right now they've gotten to the point where the e-book advance copies are nearly ready, which seems a fairly good turnaround.

Fireside magazine: Year Two edited by Bryan White. $24 for a 1-year, 12 issue e-book format subscription, $35 pledge lets you get this year, and last year's issues as well in e-book format.

A popular online magazine, slated to include stories by Nebula/Hugo-nominee Ken Liu (I really liked his shorts in last year's Hugo Voter Packet), and popular urban fantasy writer Lilith Saintcrow, among others listed on the page.

Longer term projects with over a week to go:

Robert A. Heinlein's Citizen of the Galaxy Graphic Novel by Eric Gignac, to be illustrated by DC comics artist Steve Erwin. Just what it says in the title, with $10 for an e-book copy and $45 for a bundle with hardcover copy, softcover copy, and e-book copy (aarghaaarghaargh I want this level, but they won't ship outside the States ).

They say that if this Kickstarter's successful, they'll adapt more of the Virginia Heinlein Editions of RAH's works into GNs.

Long Hidden: Speculative Fiction From the Margins of History edited by Bart Leib. $10 basic pledge, but $20 will get you the e-book and a subscription to a magazine by the same publisher (full contents seem to be available online, though), and $30 will get you the ebook and all 6 of the publisher's other ebooks so far (includes 3 anthologies), for an amortized cost of $4.28 per title (probably what I'll be getting once I have a quickie skim compare of the magazine contents vs. the novels).

Speculative fiction from a minority perspective, will include stories by above-mentioned Ken Liu and James Tiptree Award-winner Nnedi Okorafor (ISFDB entry, Wikipedia), Hugo-nominated Aliette de Bodard, Bram Stoker-nominee Tananarive Due (ISFDB entry, Wikipedia), among others.

Well, hope you managed to spot something in that half-page of TL;DR that you might like to get (especially if it's something I also really want funding for as well). Apologies for the length and rambling.