View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #26
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
$9.99 doesn't sound to bad. I've found that a lot of the third-party stuff doesn't work as well, at least I've had bad luck with iThing cables.

I'm itching for a new phone and at this point it's still going to be the new iPhone or an SIII, can't wait to see what Apple comes out with (even if I don't get one).
Here is an very interesting article describing the teardown of an iPhone charger, showing that it is a particularly high quality device, and also a particularly high profit margin device. I had no idea that chargers were so complex.

http://www.arcfn.com/2012/05/apple-i...n-quality.html

Here is a similar article concerning a $2.79 no-name charger. Conclusion: dangerous; don't buy:

http://www.arcfn.com/2012/03/inside-...d-why-you.html

I don't think that the lesson is exactly that you get what you pay for; there are probably intermediate priced 3d party chargers from well-known companies like Belkin that are probably at least safe. But at least for electrical components, it's probably best not to go for the cheapest item sold on Ebay.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote