View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #95
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by js1d3 View Post
Hi man, mi kindle model is touch 3g (the last touch model). I have been reading all the steps from the previous report by Poetcop and trying to repeat but I don't understand some things and terms. I downloaded libusb and get recognized my kindle by windows xp (in virtual box), i copied the same text from .inf that you use geekmaster. I don't understand the next step that runs fastboot.win.public there are some .dos files that canīt work correctly I suppose. Also in the report from Poetcop mentioned that uses Linux, what version recommends to install in mac osx (virtual box) and how I can run ssh file

I marked with blackie the steps that I don't understand, and what exactly is the definition of ssh and how to work with linux (which version) to restore my kindle touch. Excuse me for my ignorance, I donīt really know much of system or this process, I beg if can explain in more details some terms and steps to follow. At this moment I only can get the kindle in fasboot mode the same as the images from this post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=25
If you want to fix your device with fastboot, first you need to boot to fastboot mode. It can be made from diag mode over "Fastboot mode install", or over Recovery mode with Mfgtool. (more info here)

As geekmaster said, by "Linux" is mere meant Linux inside Kindle.
As I understand, you have emulated Windows XP on your Mac.
About these DOS files. These are NOT DOS, it's just console applications and it fully run under Windows.

Following instructions are for Windows.
Before you run fastboot, you need to install drivers. It's a little bit tricky, because I don't know, if original fastboot drivers works with Touch model.
I recommend you to download libusb-win32 here, follow instructions here.

Then extract fastboot_win_public.zip to some directory in Windows even with source code. Go to source folder and doubleclick to "cmd.bat". Command prompt should appear.
Type
Code:
cd ..
fastboot.exe getvar bootmode
If drivers works, bootmode will show. If drivers doesn't work, <waiting for device> show.In this case interrupt it with Ctrl+C.

If drivers didn't work, install drivers with geekmaster's custom inf and try run fastboot again.

You can't write main partition from fastboot, only diags (for example the version with SSH).

I hope I didn't confused you. Just read existing instructions on forum, and ask if you didn't understand something.

Last edited by hostar; 03-16-2012 at 02:58 PM.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote