View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 11:34 PM   #4
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknskip View Post
The problem with PDF is that it is one of the most closed formats around. The fact that Sony uses ADE (from Adobe) is even worse. I'll either figure out how to work around ADE or go back to lrf.
Although the PDF file itself is fairly locked down, I prefer PDF due to its reliability. This is something that I haven't found with other formats. For example, with RTFs I've been unable to get it to consistently render the general font type (serif, san-serif, fixed font) on my ebooks.

I use StarOffice (the proprietary version of OpenOffice.org) to generate my PDFs. I'm able to format my ebooks on my computer and they will appear on my reader exactly as they appear on my screen. This includes fonts, spacing, line/page breaks, and margins. This allows me to easily identify and correct any formatting problems with my ebooks.

As far as the PDF ebooks themselves, I treat the PDF as an electronic version of paper and only use it at my ereader's default size. If I want to make a change in the ebook's appearance, such as making the font larger, I go back to the original source file, change it, and regenerate the PDF.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote