View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #10
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by srid View Post
And Kindle may not be a good thing to invest .. for Amazon's ebooks (azw) can only be read on a Kindle.
That doesn't fuss me. The "format wars" on e-books are nothing like we saw in terms of VHS/Beta and HD DVD/Blu-ray. Let's not forget the other huge DRM format wars: music. Apple -- which everyone agrees won the hardware game and has thrived as a leading distributor of content with iTunes -- started out with a proprietary format AAC, not MP3. Apple eventually moved to mp3 and even to a non-DRM model. I am confident something like this will evolve over time with e-books.

Kindle's sole challenge is the public library market which embraced DRMed ePub. I don't think this is an unsolvable gap and, in the meantime, Amazon's Kindle is thriving in spite of it. I am quite confident buying books from Amazon and embracing its native format, mobi, for the core of my library. However, I am also making "backup" copies of everything in ePub using calibre so whatever device I want to read on, I have an "identical" copy.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote