View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #13
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknepper View Post
I'm trying to build mobi/prc files from epubs and consistently get the error message: "Hyperlink not resolved in tocblah blah blah)" I'm using an NCX file, and I've noticed that this error always seems to occur when attempting to make a nested TOC using anchors... the error occurs at the first sign of an anchor using #.
Sounds like you may be running into the same problem that this guy did. Apparently Mobipocket Creator handles certain things in the same way as older versions of KindleGen.

Though it's always possible MBPC is choking on the XHTML, as you hypothesized. I don't think it's been updated in years, and possibly either the filetype declaration in the OPF or the <empty-tag /> structure or maybe the DOCTYPE declaration if exists is something it refuses to parse.

Hope this helps, and welcome to MobileRead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chyron8472 View Post
I have bought more than one ebook for my Kindle from Amazon that didn't come with chapter markers, as well it didn't have an NCX file (and sometimes didn't even have a Table of Contents). God knows why someone would publish said books without these things. =\
Sometimes they've attached things wrongly in the source (KindleGen is really picky about this), and the resulting Mobi gets converted without these niceties and no one bothers to check.

I've seen it happen with freebie books that were available at multiple outlets, where the ePub version had a proper TOC and NCX and showed chapter marks once converted, whereas the AZW from Amazon didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chyron8472 View Post
With Star Trek: New Frontier, which contains the first 4 books of the series in one volume (and which came with no chapter marks, no table of contents, and an NCX file which was in a tree format which didn't seem to work at all,)
The Kindle can actually support multi-level NCX, but it does it in an invisible way. Only the top level shows as dots in the location bar.

To navigate to the sub-levels (which are invisible, but exist), you have to first navigate to a top level dot (say, "Part I"), page forward until you reach the start of a second-level location (a chapter or individual poem) and then you can flick back and forth between the chapters at that level.

Amazon should include on the actual Kindle something like they have in the Kindle Previewer app, where you click a button and you can see and navigate through the entire nested NCX structure at once.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote