View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
pjhaas
pjhaas began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Pocket PRS-300
I second the above comment & review. I bought a PRS-300 a couple of days ago after worrying about the 5-inch vs 6-inch screen-thing. I figured an 8-inch screen would be ideal, but an affordable 8-incher will be another 12 months or so from now. After getting a larger reader in 2010/11, I could still use the PRS-300 for travel and commuting I figured.

I didn't buy the PRS-505 because it's essentially 2 year old technology (not the E Ink screen, but the implementation from Sony. The PRS-300 is designed in 2009, the PRS-505 in 2007).

If you read a lot you will end up with several readers anyway in a couple of years. Maybe I'll get a Kindle as well, just to be able to buy ebooks from Amazon next to the ePub offerings from all the other online ebook shops.

I did buy the Sony Standard Cover, expensive yes, but today I tested my PRS-300 in the metro (subway/underground) and found this cover to be very useful. It gives some extra protection when carrying the reader when changing trains.

Plus, of course, the PRS-300 fits exactly in the inner pocket of my coat. It's a 'go anywhere' reader.

For everybody who wonders which reader to get: buy the PRS-300 as a starter unit. Even if the screen is a little too small, just buy a bigger reader next year to use at home on the couch and in bed and use the PRS-300 for traveling or as a back-up (if you can afford 199 USD + roughly the same amount the following year)

Last edited by pjhaas; 11-06-2009 at 01:48 AM.
pjhaas is offline   Reply With Quote