Thread: Literary Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
(...) What Johann is speaking is "plattdeutsch", a dialect typical for northern Germany. It is "very" dialect - there are many words in plattdeutsch that have only a small resemblence to their German counterparts (maybe deserblues understands it quite well). I guess it should demonstrate how "local" he is whereas his usage of French should demonstrate how "worldly" he is at the same time.
Hmm, would that resemble Schwyzerdütsch, Scweizerdeutsch ( Swiss German)? I know when I worked in Switzerland that my German colleagues had serious problems understanding this variation ( don't let the Swiss hear this) of the German language.
Or would it resemble the dialect of the north of the Netherlands? I lived there as a child.

Anyway, I'll be reading, if I can get to it this month, the free German version.

Last edited by desertblues; 07-17-2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Two(2)grammatical errors = creative, living language?
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote