View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #25
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
Yikes.

I make sure the reader is in the case before I turn off the light. I have cats and they will inevitably sit on anything with a screen on it. They're too light to do damage by weight but I'm concerned their claws would screw up the screen.
Oh yeah, I'd bet their claws would mess up the screen. I have 3 tiny, about 3-5mm long scratches on my ipad 2 screen, that I am 95% sure are a result of one of my cats jumping up on to my couch and landing on it, and immediately jumping off the ipad on to the back of the couch.

Really ticks me off (partly at myself for leaving it where my cats might land). Fortunately or unfortunately the mic in my ipad 2 is completely dead, and it still has about 2 months left on the warranty, so hopefully/probably I should be able to get the ipad replaced under warranty because of the dead mic. The scratches aren't really bad, but it annoys me that they are there.

I'd imagine a nook ST screen is not has hard/scratch resistant as an ipad2's screen is.

For case, I just use the standard madeline cover in ink from BN. It works pretty well (I hate folio covers). I doubt it adds a huge amount of crush resistance, but it should reduce flex a little in the body of the nook, as well as prevent things from pressing directly against the screen breaking them. Probably also a fair amount of extra drop protection depending on how it lands, as the cover will slip/flex/deform some before transfering energy in to the body of the nook. My cat has knocked it off my bedside table down about 3ft and over about 2ft (he knocked it pretty hard) and it was "fine" landing on its corner/edge. It did give me a "battery needs to be charged" screen when I opened the cover a few minutes later, but immediately booted without any issues when I hit the power button. Must have just been enough to cause some kind of shock to the battery/mainboard that caused an instant of low voltage or something triggering the charge screen.

All that said, I don't want it to happen, buy I also look at it as a $99 investment (well, actually it was a present, but whatever). If it breaks, I'll be really ticked, but it is only a hundred bucks to replace (my ipad 2 I might actually shed real tears if it broke and I had to shell out $500 to replace it).
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote