View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 10:36 AM   #15
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Sweet Pea - I agree that John Lee is an excellent narrator. He was also the narrator on World Without End by Ken Follett. This is quite a lengthy book (nearly 45.5 hours), but it's a very enjoyable sequel (of sorts) to Pillars of the Earth. I say a sequel of sorts because it's set in the same town as Pillars, but about 200 years later, so obviously none of the same characters are involved.

I also agree that the best readers are performers. A movie actor can use facial expressions and body language, but a narrator can only use his/her voice to convey emotions, and I'm sure there are highly skilled actors that would nonetheless make horrible narrators.

Bookish Dreamer - I have always avoided abridged books, and I continue to avoid abridged audio books. If I'm going to read (or listen to) a book, I want the whole book, not an abridged or condensed version.

I'll certainly keep an eye on this thread for other recommendations.

Happy Listening!
SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote