View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
Dave W
Connoisseur
Dave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-600 & Nook ST w/glow light
Harry, I understand that USB charging may be unreliable, but why would the screen charge indicator indicate 75% charge remaining? If USB charging didn't fully charge the battery, that should be indicated by a faster than normal drop though the charge remaining bars and, finally, give you a low battery warning. If the battery charge indicator can give a false indication, then what good is it? With Ni-Cad batteries, as in my Norelco shaver, discharge and charge is indicated using an internal timer which depends on the known rate of charge or discharge to the internal batteries. That system works on batteries that are in spec. However, as the batteries reach end of life, the indicator doesn't work properly. With Li-ion batteries, the charge indicator should not depend on a timer, but on the actual charge state of the batteries. I've seen this on notebook computers where you get a percent charge remaining. As the battery gets weaker, the charge remaining indication decreases more rapidly and gives a good indication of the true state of the battery. Doesn't the Sony reader work that way?

Tronin, in my case, I am reading a large book - 1350 pages as shown on the Sony. I am also reading large font so that I can see it better in dim light. However, when it crashes, I'm not doing anything other than reading. When I go to turn the page, it is frozen. Even so, why wouldn't the reset button work and why does it take 5 minutes (I've timed it) plugged into a USB port to recover?

Dave W
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote