View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
Dave W
Connoisseur
Dave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-600 & Nook ST w/glow light
Is this a bad battery or what?

My PRS-600 has started crashing. Yesterday and again today, the screen froze. I could not power down and even the reset button did nothing. I plugged it into the USB port on my notebook and, in 5 minutes, it indicated a USB connection and the Sony Reader Library opened. It took the full 5 minutes. That behavior is exactly what the user manual says about the first time the reader is plugged in. It implies that, if the battery is completely dead, it will take a while before the reader will start to function.

On my reader, the battery charge indicator is down only one bar when this happens and I get no warning. It just freezes. The unit is only a few months old and is still well within warranty. I'm inclined to visit the Sony store in my area and talk to them about this. Does anyone know if they will help or will they just refer me to customer service? The behaviour I'm seeing is either a battery that goes dead way before the charge circuits know about it or the charge circuits themselves are faulty and think the battery is dead when it isn't. Keep in mind though, that when it crashes the screen still indicates 3 bars of charge.

Can anyone help with this? I read in bed before going to sleep and don't want to put the reader down early or get up to plug it into my notebook and wait 5 minutes to start reading again. Besides, I have only gotten a few hundred page turns when this happens.

Dave W
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote