View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #21
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Some thoughts on 3Qi mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
If we are talking about the video posted above, then it appears, to me, that the screen is in transflective mode. Which means, that the backlight is not totally off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
You'd think their demo videos would show all three modes. Makes you wonder why they don't?
Just a couple of my thoughts or speculations on this issue.

In this interview, John Ryan mentioned that they added a switch to toggle the backlight. Also, Jepson's blog post is titled as 'Kindle and 3qi display with backlight off - side by side'. So unless they are lying, I believe that they are showing the color screen without backlight.

Now the question is what is exactly this 'color without backlight' mode. Wired reported that the screen has three mode.
1) a full-color, bright, conventional LCD mode
2) a low-power, basic color transflective mode
3) a very low-power, sunlight-readable, reflective e-paper mode
I guess they might have made a mistake in describing the second mode as transflective. It may mean that the screen is transflective, which can be used with or without backlight. Then, by combining color/BW and backlight on/off, we can get the following modes.
a) color with backlight
b) color without backlight
c) black & white without backlight
This may be the three modes that 3Qi is capable of.

This video shows that they added a simple toggle switch to turn the backlight off and on (around 5:44~5:52). I guess that is why they are showing only two modes instead of cycling through all possible modes.

If my guess is correct, they are showing only a) and b) but not c) mode. However, given how good b) mode looks, I would expect c) model will be at least as good as b) mode.

Last edited by soilwork; 06-03-2009 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Typo
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote